- The California Nevada Conference of the UMC
- Catch Fire in 50 Days!
- Catch Fire in 50 Days: Learn More
What if, by 2020 …
- All congregations in our Conference had a clear, simple vision and strategy for making disciples in their unique context who reach their mission fields;
- Our Conference culture naturally encouraged innovative ways of multiplying disciple-making movements to create new places for new people;
- One-third of the congregations in the Conference were starting something new that reached new people through context-discerned models of new faith communities, and/or new expressions of current offerings;
- We had a new multicultural congregation that consistently engaged no fewer than 1,000 active participants each week;
- We had at least five existing congregations with no fewer than 1,000 active participants each week;
- We had at least 20 faith communities with no fewer than 500 active participants each week?
How would we be different?
How would people's lives be changed?
How would our mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world be enhanced?
Would these be signs that we had become a movement again?
Let's turn toward God's vision and God's world and Christ's call to get about his mission. It is not about trying to save or maintain this body known as the California-Nevada Annual Conference or our local church. It is about losing our lives in Christ's mission, knowing that as we lose our lives in Christ we will find them again. It is about Christ's mission to bring good news to the poor, release to the captives, recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, and to proclaim the year of God's favor. If we are just trying to hang on to our lives, our Conference, our churches, we will lose them.
The world needs the churches of the California-Nevada Annual Conference to be vital today, more vital tomorrow, and even more vital the day after. It is not about us. It is about God and the world God so loves.
With those things in mind, please participate in "Catch Fire in 50 Days: Joining the Movement of God's Mission," in one of three ways:
- As a daily devotional for church members;
- As a daily devotional combined with a small group experience;
- As a daily devotional, small group, and worship experience.
Let's catch fire as we open ourselves to God through these daily Scripture readings. Let's pray that God would make us a movement again. It can start with a single heart igniting through a fresh encounter with Christ.
Could that heart be yours?
You are invited to download the resources below.